Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

Date: 17/03/20

On 16th March, 2020, in an effort to stop the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced new travel restrictions. For the time being, only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and US citizens will be allowed to travel into Canada. The new travel restrictions come into effect starting on 18th March 2020, and will continue until further notice.

We are monitoring the situation closely. We remain positive that the situation will improve, and that these travel restrictions will be lifted before our current applicants are set to arrive in Canada in three months' time.

We are continuing to operate the Camp Canada program, and camps are still very excited to welcome international staff this summer. The Camp Canada team will continue to process applications, and we recommend that all applicants continue to work on their applications.

A further update will be issued on April 16th. Over the next few weeks, the Camp Canada team will be reaching out directly to participants who are set to begin their placements before the end of April. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQs below. If you can't find your question, please reach out to our team via Livechat.

Date: 09/03/20

Camp Canada are committed to the welfare and safety of our participants, and have been monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely.

We are staying informed on WHO, Health Canada, Foreign Office and Public Health England advisories, as well as updates from our Canadian team, partners, and camps. At this time based on the guidelines and information from the sources outlined above, the Camp Canada programme will be going ahead as planned for summer 2020.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates if the situation is to change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: 13/03/20

Important: as this situation develops, these frequently asked questions may contain information that is no longer valid. We will update this page as we receive more information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.

Is Camp Canada still going ahead for 2020?

Yes, applications are still open for summer 2020.

How are decisions being made about the program?

We are staying informed on the latest advisories and recommendations made by relevant government, health, and travel agencies. These include:

  • The World Health Organization
  • The Canadian government
  • The Foreign Office and Public Health authority of each participant's home country

We are also relying on the experience of our global head office in the UK, and our local office in Canada, as well as each of our partner camps.

Can I withdraw from the program now due to the coronavirus?

As the program is still going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your programme agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund. We highly recommend that you continue with your application.

What if I or someone else contracts the virus during the program?

All medical issues at camp will utilize the camp’s well-being protocol. Each camp's protocol will be different, but will typically include access to the camp's health center, medical professionals, and the support of local health authorities.

If I contract coronavirus whilst on the program, will I be covered by the medical insurance?

Yes, you will receive regular insurance coverage, provided you were not diagnosed with Coronavirus before starting your trip. If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness before departure, we ask that you follow your local health authority's guidance.

What are my next steps?

At this point, based on the information we have received, applicants who are interested in the Camp Canada programme should proceed with their applications as normal. Next steps may include submitting all necessary paperwork and completing your profile.

What should I do about booking flights?

If you are concerned about flight changes or cancellations, we would recommend booking with a credit card that provides travel and cancellation insurance. You may also want to consider purchasing additional travel insurance from a provider of your choice. For specific details of coverage in case of cancellations, we suggest discussing with your credit card or insurance provider.

Are the lifeguarding courses still going ahead?

Shendy’s Swim Course will be reviewed on April 1st. An email will be sent to the 30 Pax signed up. The lifeguard training courses in the UK are currently still going ahead as planned. If you wish to cancel then you may do so, but because there is a waiting list for these courses, we may not be able to guarantee your position on this course if you choose to register again later. If the decision is made to cancel this course you will receive a full refund. Our recommendation is to wait before making a decision to withdraw from the course until April 1st, when we will revisit if the course is going ahead.